Job 33:28

Thursday, March 23, 2023

The struggle-bus is here.

 When I first decided to teach high school, my husband said, “just don’t go to Sam Houston.” I didn’t even know where Sam Houston was or why I shouldn’t go there, but I put my application in to the district and two days before school started I got a call.  “Hi, this is the principal at Sam Houston High School, would you like to be a long term substitute for an English class here?”

I did want to be a long term sub, specifically in an English class, so I said, “Yeah, I can do that.”  I told my husband when he came home and he said, “Well, I hope you don’t get shot.”

I thought, ‘how bad can it be?’

It’s bad. It’s real bad. These kids are bad.

Good news: I have not been shot.

Bad news: There was a school shooting at another high school in the district this week.  I think this is the first for our district.  Two students were injured. One was shot, one hit by shrapnel.  The young man who was shot died.  The suspect was also a young man- just 15 years old.  The shots were reported at 6:55AM.  What does a 15 year old have to be so angry about at 6:55 AM?

As with any shooting like this- it is tragic- senseless- and scary.  

Of course all the schools are on high alert now.


Lamar is the lowest ranked high school in the district.  They are not the biggest, or the poorest, the one with the highest number of minority students, or English as a second language students.  All those categories go to Sam Houston High School.  Sam has 96.4 percent minority student population. More than 70% Hispanic.  We have the 93% on free or reduced lunch.  More than half the student population speak English as a second language.   We have an 88% graduation rate- and that is very loose- there is a reason a high school diploma doesn’t mean much these days.  Some of these students are graduating with an elementary reading level.  


These school are struggling-teachers, administrators and staff are working hard for these kids.


But there is a disconnect.


Maybe there always has been.


These kids don’t care.  They don’t even try.  They don’t even pretend to try.


I often wonder who these kids are going to become.  Will they wake up someday and say, “Actually, I do want to be successful.”  Or will they live and die in ignorance and poverty.


I know poverty.  I know they cycle- I know the hopelessness.  I know the discouragement.  I know the press of poverty.


But ignorance was never on the table.


My mom was on welfare, disabled, bipolar, didn’t graduate from high school, and she made quite a lot of bad life choices,  but she wasn’t ignorant.  


She learned from her mistakes and was willing to compel the ignorance right out of her children by force if needed.  I didn’t need force.  I believed her when she said I had better be good ‘or else.’  In fact, I didn’t even need the threat- I didn’t want to be in the place where we were- physically, emotionally, economically- I didn’t want to be there.  

No comments: