Job 33:28

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Santa, Yoseph and me!
Was it only yesterday that I went to the closing ceremony for the Fall semester 2010?  It's been a good semester.  Easiest semester ever.  Starting in January I'll have real classes to teach and real prep work to do.  For the closing ceremony D dressed up like Santa and I dressed up like Santa's fiancée.  (I didn't have the time or resources to prepare a costume for "Mrs. Claus" so I was some kind of elf or consort or something.  I don't know.




I decorated for Christmas today.  It's pretty minimal.  While I love Christmas and Christmas decorations, I'm sort of lazy about decorating.  I'm usually not where I live for actual Christmas, and I don't usually have many visitors.  I don't really have that many decorations, and I have so much other junk that would need to be put away . . .  I just scatter a few of my favorites around and call it done.

One of my favorites is the 'Elf on the shelf.'   Although I always thought of him as the 'Elf in the Tree.'  We had one when I was a kid, and he always sat right in the middle of our 3 foot tree.  A few years ago I saw one just like the one we used to have and I bought it.  A few years after that I saw the book Elf on a Shelf.  Apparently this little guy is a spy in a network of Santa's spies letting him know who's been naughty and nice. Yes, he's sitting between pumpkins and near a crazy-eyed Santa.

One of my new favorites is this Mexican nativity.  I bought it a few years ago on a trip pk and I took to visit uncle bk.  I hadn't put it out before so it was still wrapped in it's Mexican newspaper wrapping.  I was surprised to find a tiny plate of tacos included in the package.  Ummmm . . . a gift from a Mexican wiseman?
Plate of tacos on left.
The set seems to include four wisemen and one wisewoman or maybe it's three wisemen, and a well-to-do shepherding couple.  I divided them into groups of the latter description.  I like how the shepherd guy on the near right looks like a Conquistador.

No comments: