Job 33:28

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Currently reading Julie and Julia which was recently a movie.  She's a salty gal.  Sometimes I read these books and wonder what it is that makes publishers and people think that this piece of writing is something special that will sell.  I don't think this because it is bad or poorly written, but it is basically just a memoir of a Joe-Blow-Nobody.  So this woman decides to cook Julia Child's French recipes all year, and keep a blog about it.  Eh. 

It makes me think that if I decided to do something all year I could write a book about it.  The problems being of course that with my gnat like attention span I don't know of anything that I can commit to for a year and me thinking the whole time, even if I did convince myself to do such a thing, "who cares?!"

Then how much money does one really make on such a venture?  What expectations result from success?  Would they want more?  If I were to write a book, I'm pretty sure there's only one in there.

I've read books about people who read the encyclopedia all year, who lived by all the biblical rules for a year, cooking for a year- auto biographies about childhood, dog ownership, travel adventures etc.  I have a friend keeping a blog about losing half her body weight.  That's determination. First deciding to do such a thing, then keeping up with it by writing about it each day. 

Do I have it? Would anyone (including me) care if I did?  I took a long-long-long test in exchange for writing a Master's dissertation.  What could I do so that I'd have enough material to write a book about it?  I heard a guy talking about taking a job in Antarctica so that when he was done he'd have a bunch of money (since he couldn't spend it in Antarctica.)and he could travel up through South and Central America and then illegally cross into the US, just to see how it felt.  Me: Antarctica?  No- the plan is over.  That's too cold.

Any suggestions- send them my way.

1 comment:

Dean's Parents said...

Couldn't get past the first chapter in Julie/Julia but loved the movie. Go figure. Now if YOU were to write a book then I would not only buy it, read it but stalk you to sign it and then let Buzz hump my arm. How 'bout them apples?! Love your blog and have been following you for years...so there! Pthththt