Job 33:28

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-fg-christian5feb05,1,2056156.story

I lived in Islamabad for almost a year. I saw these slums at a distance, but I was told they were too dangerous to enter alone. Nobody wanted to go with me. They were in every way different from the rest of the capital city. I lived in an enormous marble house near a mosque and a market, where many of the affluent Muslim citizens of the city resided. In contrast the Muslim, Afghan refugees I worked with lived in concrete apartment buildings with tiny, dingy apartments. In even greater contrast the Pakistani Christians- people I am called to care for, they lived in tents and shacks made of cardboard and corrugated metal sheets. They were squatters in their homeland.

In the middle of one group's suffering it's easy to forget another group's long term issues and persecution. My eyes were certainly taken off my brothers and sisters. I regret that more fully now.

No comments: