Job 33:28

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Pope news:

I follow pope news, if I wasn’t Baptist I’d be Catholic, or Buddhist.

Here’s how I found out about the new Pope: I was walking by the receptionist’s desk when I heard her say “The Pope is a Nazi.”

She is so uncouthy.

The Pope is not a Nazi. He was a compulsory member of Hitler’s Youth Movement.
I imagine Jesus would say, “Get over it.” or “Gettest thou above it.” if you prefer KJV.

He has taken the name Pope Benedict XVI. Everyone at work flipped when they heard that. “What a terrible name! Why would he choose such a terrible name? I can only think of Benedict Arnold!”

I could only think of, “benefit, beneficial, benefactor, beneficiary, benediction.” I figured it must mean something good and I said so in opposition to the crowd.

Benedict means blessing.

Don’t think of Benedict Arnold—tell the truth, you don’t even know what he did that was so bad do you?

There have been 15 other Pope Benedicts—goes way farther back than the American Revolution, (BTW I expect nobody outside of the US cares what Benedict Arnold did.)

In speaking of the new Pope, I’ve used this sentence twice today.
“He looks vital.”
Both time people looked at me like I didn’t know how to use my words.
It’s correct! Get off my back! Vital is a adjective, it means : full of life and vigor :

Why oh why does everybody think I’m crazy? Sometimes I do know what I'm talking about!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had only seen a picture of the new pope yesterday when I read your blog. Though I didn't particularly think the name sounded too appealing, that didn't really matter much. The thing that really struck me was the expression on Pope Benedict XVI's face. I felt really good about that. He seemed excited, kind of modest and shy, kind of sweet natured, and very happy. I thought his expression was striking, not anything typical or humdrum about him at all. And that was what I was first impressed by.

Last night, I read more about him and was equally impressed. I was really wondering what kind of a man would be chosen. I figured modern times would finally catch up with the Catholic Church. I figured in these days and times, that there would be major politicing behind the scenes. And that possibly the best man would not be chosen, but rather the most politically savvy man.

Bravo to the Catholic Church, at least those at the head of it. Their selection of such a diligent, steady, seemingly principled and good man goes against what modern trends in other areas would suggest. I thank God for those cardinals, most of whom we'll never know their name, who put aside their own amibition and political pressures and chose the man they respected and whose cause they love. Though I'm sure there were other very qualified cardinals in the group, all but two appointed by Pope John Paul II, as well.

As a Christian living in a world where it almost seems as though most are trying to compromise the Truth, it is comforting to know there are others, at least, who hold the Word of God dearly to their own hearts as well. While many other denominations have all but changed their beliefs in order to satisfy modern trends and rhetoric, it's comforting that those at the head of the Catholic Church have not yet made such a compromise. They have not tried to modernize and be cool or anything, which to me is very very cool. And I liked the reason he gave for chosing the name Benedict, being one who had seen the horrors of WWII, he chose the name which represented world peace to him, because of the work of Pope Benedict XV's work.

I am not Catholic, but I did almost turn to the Catholic Church during one of the low points in my life. I thought their structure and longevity may be of comfort to me while trying to battle off certain demons. I decided against it, but I have looked upon their faith differently since then. That's not to say I agree with all of their doctrine and interpretations though, but I do respect them and am glad that those at it's head realize the awesome responsibilty they hold and take it seriously.

A new question came to my mind last night as I was reading some of the Catholic Church's history and how there had been two hundred and forty something popes since Peter I; I know they have like 6 other books that Catholics accept as part of The Bible. Do you know when this decision was made? I had always thought of it as something dangerous to do if they were adding to the accepted Bible, but since they are the oldest denomination, I wondered last night if those six books might actually be something the protestant religions have removed from The Bible. Do you know the case here? I need to research it further. I am at least cuious about them now.

Fan Pal