Job 33:28

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Grammar class tonight was a little over my head. I guess I should have done the reading before I got there. We were talking about non finite adjective phrase compliments and the difficulties non native English speakers have forming sentences correctly using these compliments.
(and the problems I have trying to figure out just what the heck they are)

Example: English is difficult to learn. To learn is a non required, non finite, infinative adjective compliment to: difficult.

My teacher was giving examples of mistakes non native speakers might make such as,
"I am difficult to know English."
or
"I am hard to know English."

THEN (I thought he said) "Sounds homosexual."

and I thought, 'How does "I am difficult to know English" sound homosexual?!'

After I thought about it for a minute longer I realized he was refering to the example
"I am hard to know English." and what he had actually said afterwards was,
"Sounds almost sexual."

Dear God,
Please let it be the case that I never have a student say to me, "I am hard to know English."
Thanks

No comments: