Job 33:28

Sunday, October 06, 2002

Leading Lipstick Indicator
"Coined by Leonard Lauder (Chairman of Estee Lauder), it follows the idea that when a consumer feels less than confident about the future, she (or he) turns to less expensive indulgences such as lipsticks. Therefore lipstick sales tend to increase during times of economic uncertainty or a recession."

Did you know there was a lipstick indicator? Indeed, I've seen this more than once. I don't think my lipstick buying habits would lead to this conclusion. Lipstick is expensive (when you live below the poverty level.) L'Oreal lipstick costs $6.99 a tube. Admittedly, it's a lot cheaper than going to the hair salon (I get my hair cut once every three years, so whatever) and cheaper than buying an new outfit (unless, like me you shop at second hand stores on sale days.) I try to keep my lipstick buying habits under control-- but tonight, I had to buy some. There was a sale (don't you see, I had to do it!) It was L'Oreal buy one get one on the "Endless" line. It is supposedly an 8 hour lipstick, but I have my doubts. The good news is it goes on very smoothly, smells good (tastes good) and has great color. This is my recomended purchase of the week. It's right up there with my globe lamp from a few weeks back.

No comments: