Job 33:28

Sunday, May 28, 2023

Gen X in decline

 Some years ago I learned an acquaintance from college had terminal cancer.  He had made some mistakes, and in his last months, he was changing, apologizing, and working to get back to who he wanted to be.  His kids were young teens- he was the first (that I heard) of my peers passing.

Lately, the news of terminal illnesses and sudden endings has been coming more frequently.  My great friend Scott passed after a long illness.  Scott, who was by far the sweetest, kindest, most generous human I knew. He was long-suffering and Christlike.  He was forgiving and joyful even in the pain.  Scott is safe in Jesus but is sorely missed by many still here.

This past week I woke up at 5:50 and I was already thinking about Scott and his sister who misses him daily.  Then I thought of my friend from middle school, Jennifer.  Jen's long suffered the same illness as Scott.  She had never had it easy- her mom passed when she was a baby- she was the oldest of a very large and poor family.  She had experienced her own health problems for many years.  She had a son just out of high school.  It was just them for a long while, but then in her 30s she married and started her second family.  Her second son was meeting milestones until he was about 3 when he started to have trouble walking, and potty training gains reversed.  He was diagnosed with autism.  Around that time she lost a baby in a late-term miscarriage.  That was devastating, but not long after she had another son- he had Spina Bifida and was also later diagnosed with autism.  She had a fierce love for those boys- her husband left her, so she was alone to work, advocate for her special needs kids, and deal with her own health issues.  She was in and out of the hospital, with surgeries, long recoveries, treatments- general ill health, and still she fought with all her power to get everything for her kids. 

She passed on Easter Sunday.  

When I learned that she had passed I thought of another friend from high school who had recently announced on FB that she was fighting breast cancer.  She too has a long story of struggles.  Sexual and physical abuse destroyed her self-worth, and just when she had finally escaped to a happier place with her kids and her family- she gets this . . . As always she put on her armor  and stepped into the storm-

I tried to check on her via Facebook yesterday, but I no longer had access.  I don't know what that means.  I hope it means that she's decided to cull her friends list to people she regularly interacts with so that she can focus on her recovery.  

So, THANK YOU GOD for my personal health, and the health, and wellness of my husband and children.  THANK YOU for helping me grow and move through my own struggles.  GOD BLESS those struggling with health issues for themselves and their families.  Comfort, Calm, Rest, Understanding, a return of JOY, and Growth in YOU for my acquaintances, friends, and family who are struggling.


No comments: