Job 33:28

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

something new

 I would like it if I could articulate something new that I learned each day.  I think I do learn something new every day, but at the end of the day- much like my children, I have a hard time saying exactly what that thing may have been.  

Me: What did you learn at school today?

Her: Lots of stuff.

Me: Like what?

Her: I don't know.

Or if I ask the littlest one (pre-schooler)

Me: What did you learn today?

Her: ABCs!

Me: What letter did you learn about? (I can see on her papers that she learned about F, 6, Blue, and circles.)

Her: C! 

Me: No, your paper says F!

Her: I like C!

Me: But you learned about F.

Her: No! C!

Me: Is C your favorite?

Her: Yes!  

She's very consistent with this.  I never knew of anyone having a favorite letter, but she loves C.

Anyway- I like to learn something new each day.  Today I learned how to make a provisional cast-on in knitting.  It is used to make socks.  I've never made a sock.  I've been told it's quite nice to make socks.  I should try.  

Today I'm making a pomegranate. This is in line with my unofficial policy of not making anything useful.  

Is there is any reason to knit or to have a  knit pomegranate? Certainly not.

However, here are some facts about pomegranates to keep us all up to date:

1. Pomegranates are native to Persia

2. The word pomegranate means 'apple with many seeds'


3. One pomegranate can hold more than 1000 seeds.

4. In Jewish tradition pomegranates are a symbol of righteousness

5. In Greek and Persian Mythology it represents life, regeneration, and marriage

6. In Buddism it is a symbol of holiness and blessing and is one of the three holy fruits

7. In Christian art, the pomegranate is sometimes held by the Christ Child The seeds represent many believers making the whole of the church



No comments: