Job 33:28

Monday, September 12, 2016

not the dishes

Today I did not do the dishes as I had planned. (as I have put it off far too long) Instead, I spent way too long cruising the internet for information about my maternal grandmother's family. What I've learned- most of what I thought I knew was wrong.  Wrong-wrong-wrong.  Not that I knew much.

My grandmother's name was Barbara Ellen (Beebe) Hindle.  She was born in 1925.

Her father's name was Schuyler (Dutch name pronounced Skyler) Porter Beebe (1905) He was born in PA.

Her mother's name was Hazel (Roberts) Beebe (1904)

My grandmother had one brother Schuler Lyle Beebe (1929) and one sister- Diana (Beebe)Williams I (I don't remember if that is the correct or only married name for her.(1938)

Schuyler Porter's father's name was Porter J. Beebe. He was born n NY in 1830.
He had two wives and five children listed in the census reports between 1870-1870.

 I believe three of the children died young- and I'm not sure about the fifth as she had a different last name.  Maybe she was the child of his second wife from a first marriage.

His first wife's name was Cynthia, or Cyntha or Syntha depending on where you look. Her children were Jennie, Charles, and Syntha.

His second wife's name was Julia, or Julie Anne, or Julieanna, or Anna depending on where you looked. Schuyler (my great grandfather) and Pearl H. Morey were listed as her children in the 1910 census, but only Schuyler was listed in the 1920 census.

I believe Julieanna was Dutch, spoke German, and taught her son Schuyler to speak and/or understand German. Julieanna was about 30 years younger than Porter J. Beebe.

Porter J. Beebe seemed to be quite a character.  I'm interested in learning more about him.

His father's name was William Beebe. He was a blacksmith. He was born in VT.
His mother's name was Cyrena (Maxon) Beebe. She was from NY-but was of Scottish heritage.

William's father's name was Ebenezer Beebe.  That is where I lost the trail.

Beebe is an English name which means "beekeeper."

Among the fist Beebes listed in the USA was John Beebe in New England in 1668.

I bought a DNA test kit to spit in and find out what kind of mutt I am.  I'm hoping it's not going to come back with 'you're white dummy!'  As far as I know I am all European (East) and Brittish Isles.  I think it would be great if I had some unexpected African, Native American or anything other than European.

I've always felt pretty white though.

No comments: