Job 33:28

Thursday, March 03, 2011

Last night a bunch of us went to "Love and War in Texas."  It's a restaurant which serves Tex-Mex and Tex-Tex food.  They have Barbara Bush's fried green beans in the appetizers and  things like long horn steaks, rattle snake and wild boar for entrees.  We went because Daniel wanted to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the independence of Texas.  He get's these ideas- but really, who am I to argue with deep fried green beans? (Yum)

When we got there we saw a car with eyelashes or headlight lashes to be exact.  I decided I needed some so I left a note on the car with my email address.  She totally wrote back and I have already ordered my pair along with the matching rhinestone liner.

At the table we talked about wedding things, and work things and of course Texas things.  Someone at the table declared that Daniel had enough Texas pride to cover both of us since I insisted on being "yankeefied."  He was just jealous because I knew the answer to the crossword puzzle clue "the port of Pennsylvania."  Duh- there's only 1!

My students often ask why they can understand when I speak English, but they can't understand when people outside (Texans) speak English.  I tell them that Texans have a different kind of English than I do.  I speak 'standard English' Texas of course speak Texan English.  I have to remind them that I'm not Texan, I can understand Texans- I've been here a long time- and I've met a few Texans out of context in my travels. (Hi) Sometimes I teach them what I call "special Texan words," like "Howdy Y'all."  They can't believe Texas has it's own words, but I assure them that if they go to another state and use these special words someone will surely ask them if they learned English in Texas.  (Imagine the fun of having a room full of Koreans, Chinese people, Arabs, Russians and South Americans repeating after me, "How-dy Y'all!"  I tell them they'll fit right in. :0)

I have a great time telling all my little foreign friends about Texas- and how special it is.  The lone star flag is very interesting to them along with the six flags of Texas.  I love asking them what they think the six flags are for.  Sometimes the give outlandish answers, only hoping there was a time that Japan owned Texas.  Imagine southwestern samurai eating fish tacos.

No comments: