Job 33:28

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

So I'm pretty excited to  be leaving one job and starting another.  Even though former job is 'long term' and new job is temporary- I get the feeling that it will be so much better.
Old job- sort of willy-nilly -New job- (hopefully) organized and orderly.
Old job- embarrassingly low pay- New job- not too bad.
Old job- cubby mail box- New job- OFFICE!  Wowzers!
Old job- students who come sometimes - New job- students who come or get deported.
Old job- same students all day every day- New job- different students each hour

I'm really hoping for the best for the summer.

In other news- I was at Walgreens the other day buying allergy medicine.  I had been carrying around two allergy pills for months, of course the day after I gave them way I needed them.  I was there to buy allergy meds, but I have a strange affinity for drugstores, so I wandered around the aisles checking things out.  I found these "Fiber Select Gummies"  Fiber supplement. I'll try almost anything with extra fiber.  I'm surprised by how many tasty things have extra fiber these days.  It used to be all "Metamucil Powder" and "Digestive Biscuits." Acutally I didn't mind Digestives, they sound worse than they are.  But Fiber Gummies?  How great is that?  I got them of course, and they really aren't bad.  Each gummy (size shape like the candy "Dots") has 8% of an adult's daily fiber needs. 

In other- other news- I was kind of ticked at work today (old work.)  I think people who don't teach don't understand the amount of time that teachers spend preparing for class and grading what the students have produce to give feed back.  I was told I have 30 minutes per day of paid "prep time."  That's not much.  But I generally use it and come in 30 minutes early each morning.  If I don't come in early, I stay late or take time out of my break.  I'm pretty conscientious about it because I don't want to take my books home. 

I don't always reflect the exact times on my 'time card' because it's always approximately the same and I'm not really into the mathematical requirements of calculating how much I make for each minute of the day and adding and subtracting to get an exact number.  I never felt like I was cheating or taking something I shouldn't.  I was just being flexible.  My boss's boss confronted me today about it.  She said I had written down 9:00 but she saw me come in after 9:00 today.  I probably came in between 9:05 and 9:10.  Close enough I thought since my class doesn't start until 9:30 and most of the students don't show up until 9:45. I'll be doing plenty of work at home and at school getting ready for a final I won't even be there to give. I told her I came in at 9:00 most days and she should change the card if she wants to.  (And I thought -Do you have any idea how much 'prep time' I do away from here?  That 30 minutes is such a small amount of money in the long run that I couldn't care less at this point? What do I care?  I've already given my notice.  I'm out in a few days. Nut-ball. ) I'm wondering if I should give a further explanation to her- but I doubt there will be an exit interview.

No comments: