Job 33:28

Thursday, October 01, 2009

So- I hate teaching modals- trying to explain why must, have to, have got to and had better are the same - but really different gives me a head ache.

Here's the only thing that perked the experiance up a bit- I had talked about using must for logical conclusions. Like, "You stayed up all night? You must be tired." I gave them a statement, and they were supposed to give me a logical conclusion.

I wrote: "You see a licence plate that says, "LDY DOC" what conclusion can you make about the driver?"

One student wrote: "The driver must see a lot of girls everyday."

I said, "Why did you make that conclusion?"
He said, "Don't you have doctors who only see ladies here? He must see lots of them every day."
I said, "Uh- yeah, that's not what I was thinking, but yes . . . ok I don't want to talk about this."

Another one was, "Shannon has a pink computer bag, a pink purse and a pink backpack."

One student answered, "Shannon must be fancy."

Indeed.

No comments: