Job 33:28

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Although I never mentioned it, nor posted pictures of my beloved dead mariachi band- ever since returning from Mexico I have been facinated with the decorations for the day of the dead. Or, as they say in Mexico "Dia de los Muertos" which lets face it sounds pretty darn scary.

Since Halloween decorations have started coming out so has my facination bloomed. Soon I will pull out my dead mariachis for display, and I've been coveting the sugar skulls I've seen on line.

I want to make some sugar skulls, but I know that the idea of making them is far more interesting to me than the actual making them would be. Then after I had them, I would wonder what do do with such large chunks of sugar . . . So, as compromise I've decided a good felt representation would work for me.

I've been reading about the day of the dead- and I can appriciate the idea of honoring the dead. Visiting and cleaning graves, remembering those who have gone on, celebrating withs family the lives of those who helped us along the way.

Why do we take such a negative view of death? Why do skeletons have to be relegated to a category with witches and monsters and evil. God made that skeleton- and it's pretty cool! Why not admire it a bit?

No comments: