Job 33:28

Wednesday, March 12, 2008


I saw this book called "Knitted Babes." The dolls on the cover were severely ugly. They looked like tiny spaghetti-legged zombies with cute clothes. I thought about it for a while- would I make one? What would I do with it if I did? Could I make them look cuter than the ones on the cover? Why are those painfully thin babies appealing to me at all? Well I don’t know, I was going to put it back when the whole gay episode distracted me. I decided to get it and get out of there.

So I got home and I looked in my stash for some flesh colored yarn- the first I came to was light brown- well that’s fine, that’s what color most people in the world are anyway. I made up the bits. Then I looked online to see if anyone else had made one and posted a picture- maybe they had made a cuter one. I found a page full of the little knitted monstrosities. They were all ugly- some of them must have been beaten with an ugly stick. Or as my grandmother used to say, “They fell from the top of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.”

That makes me laugh. HA!

I saw one cute one, her name was “Alice full of Malice.” I saw someone had made an alien doll- he was pretty cute too. It didn’t inspire me to put the bits together quite yet.

http://knittedbabes.blogspot.com/

I decided she would certainly look better with clothes, so I should have some clothes ready for her once I put her together. I made her a little ballet leotard. But I used a fatter yarn, so the leotard was too big, so now I’ve started another brown doll, with a different yarn, to fit the clothes which were too big to fit the first doll.

Yes, I’ve always known my logic and sequence were off. Why not make clothes to fit the doll I already made? Don’t know. I also started making an alien doll. I should have quite a little collection of ugly dolls one day. Watch out you might get one!

No comments: