Job 33:28

Monday, January 21, 2008

On Sunday I randomly (well, I picked by location) picked a church off the internet yellow pages. I went to Northgate Baptist Church (I think.) Also chosen on account that it started at 10:45, and it was 10:15 when I started looking. I pulled into the parking lot and wondered if I had written down the wrong time. There were three cars in the lot. I went in and there were three people in the congregation- no there were about 20- but seated in a church building intended for 200 it felt awkward.

There was a piano and an organ, but no piano player or organ player. The Hymns (not repetitive praise songs thank you) were led by a 70 something year old man singing to prerecorded music. The preacher was middle aged and slightly unorganized. The people were friendly, and about 10 people came in late- later than me.

At the end of the sevice I asked if there was any literature about the church I could take with me. They asked if I wanted Sunday School literature. I said,"No, I meant something like church history, or affiliation." They gave me Sunday School literature. It did have the Doctrines of the church on the inside cover.

Then out of the blue, this old guy (70-something song leader) tells me that they are a "closed communion" church. I said, "Oh- ok." But I guess I looked sufficiently surprised that he felt he needed to explain.
He said, "We believe only church members should take communion."
I said, "Do you mean only Christians, or only Baptists or only people who belong to this church?"

He meant people who belonged to that church- and he gave me some blah-blah about disciples and apostles and what Jesus wanted for church membership rules- which was all kinds of out of order and nonsensical. He said, "I'm not real smart about these things, but this is what our church believes." I just said, "Okay." I was willing to leave it at that, but then he said, "Well, I hope you agree with me."

I didn't want to slap down the whole "Bible College and Seminary" card, so I just said, "Actually, I don't agree with that because I travel and move alot, and if I only took communion at the church were I was a member, I don't think I'd get to take communion very often."

He kept talking as though he were going to "convert" me to closed communion, and I kept thinking, "Is this why this church only has 20 people? Am I not good enough for your crackers and grape juice? Does Jesus really require all this paper work?"

Finally I said,"I understand your beief, I just don't agree." Then he said, "Well, I don't want to hurt your feelings, but your belief doesn't have any Biblical support." It's a good thing he was an old guy- my believe doesn't have any Biblical support?! What he told me was supposed to pass for support of his belief? I'm thinking not so much.

Back in the day I spent alot of time thinking and discussing about communion- and one day I shall record all my shiney little thoughts on the topic-but now I must be off to bed with me. May I not dream about that little old man and his closed communions.

No comments: