Job 33:28

Thursday, October 11, 2007

So I finally gave in and decided that coughing all night, getting stomach cramps, vomiting, a back ache, a head ache and not being able to talk or breath was hindering my happy outlook on life. It only took two and a half weeks for me to come to this conclusion. I was sure I would just get over it-eventually. I was sure it was only allergies and I knew if I went to the doctor he would say, “It’s allergies, that will be $100.00- Thanks for stopping by.” But I gave in when I started dry heaving last night, and it felt like an invisible giant had reached into my chest and was squeezing all the air out of my lungs slowly- slowly- slowly.

I suppose I got a little taste of what asthma sufferers feel when they have an attack- as though surely death is upon them . . . squeezey giant and all.

I started listing my problems in the doctor’s off ice today- the nurse as looking at me like I might be contagious and realized I sounded deathly ill! Like, I might have bird flu or something! Then the doctor came in and said, “It’s allergies, that will be $65.00- Thanks for stopping by.”

So- not exactly as I expected, but pretty darn close. He seemed to be a nice guy. He gave me some samples and a prescription for some narcotic cough medicine. SCORE! He said, “Take these pills, this inhaler, and this syrup- and call me in three days to tell me if any of it worked. Oh, and don’t drive after you take the syrup.”

No comments: