Job 33:28

Sunday, July 30, 2006

ao
I was sitting in my friend’s car. He was acting silly, singing songs in funny voices and telling me stories I didn’t believe. I asked him, “Do you act like this with all your friends?” He was quiet for a few seconds, and then he said, “No,” in a thoughtful tone. Still smiling, I asked him why I was the lucky one who got to see his silly side. I’ll never forget his answer. He said, “Because I love you best.”

The passenger side door of his car didn’t open from the inside. He told me he didn’t bother fixing it since it was a “chick door” anyway. He would get out and walk around to open the door, and the old ladies would smile and comment to one another what a nice young man he was. He would flash his pretty smile and I would try not to roll my eyes.

We used to go out to the lake; night swimming or for a walk on the dam. Sometimes we drove out there at night and went out to the edge of the lake and he would shine his headlights at all the parked cars. He explained the first time out that they weren’t just empty cars, but that the college kids came to the lake to “watching submarines” at that location. He drove an old black and white Chevy- which through steamed up windows might have been mistaken for a police car.

Once as we sat by the lake he told me that ever since he became a Christian he had tried to become perfect, but he was so disappointed because he didn’t think he would become perfect, even though he really wanted to. I remember telling him he couldn’t be perfect in this world because this world isn’t perfect; it’s corrupt and we can’t change that. I wish I could have told him what I’ve only recently come to understand myself.

He was right . . . men are made with eternity in their hearts. This life is only the beginning. When we become Christians, it marks the beginning of our perfection. Perfection, however, is hard work. I still believe that here, in this world, we cannot become perfect, but this world is not all. God is working with us and in us to complete our perfection. Our striving here will be rewarded in the next world. Our perfection will become complete and for that we can rejoice even now.

I believe now that the problem with Christians today is that we work to be ‘good’ when really we need to struggle for perfect. “You thought you were going to be made in to a decent little cottage; but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself.” (CS Lewis, Mere Christianity)

“Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly father is perfect.” Matthew 5:48
“Keep working on that palace.” That’s what I’d tell him if we had that discussion again.

And if we were to walk on the dam in a storm I would carry the umbrella. And if you were working on the roof all morning and you were thirsty, I’d bring you some water.
And if we were to go to church and I saw Abraham Lincoln, I wouldn’t mention it. Because after all this time, I’d like to think I helped add something nice to that palace.
You added something nice to mine because you loved me best.

No comments: