Job 33:28

Monday, October 24, 2005

I went to Wal-Mart the other day to buy a watch battery. I got to the jewelry counter and ask for a battery the “this” watch. The woman says, “We can’t take the back off that watch, you have to do it yourself.”
So, I said, “okay.” And I got out my handy little knife and started opening it. In the process I stabbed my thumb, and started bleeding all over the place.

Usually I carry bandages in my purse, but it so happened I has used the last one that morning when I discovered unbeknownst to me, my finger had been bleeding. (Right on that spot where you hold your pen on your middle finger, and now, because it didn’t have a bandage, it’s infected and it hurts to write!)

I took the bandage off my finger and put it on my thumb to stop the bleeding so that I could continue in my effort to get the watch back off.
I got the watch back off and gave the woman the battery. She looked at it and said, “We don’t have this battery.”

“Oh, really?” What I really meant by that was, “I’m BLEEDING!”

I took the battery and put it back in the watch. I started to put the watch back on, and in the process . . . I broke the watch band.
Luckily, this watch didn’t have any sentimental value because I then threw it across the jewelry section and ran away waving my thumb in the air, screaming “I’m bleeding! BLEEDING!”

No, I didn’t do that.

I put the watch in my purse and thought “I guess I’ll throw this back in the glove compartment of my car, where I found it.”

Oh yeah—found items. Speaking of found items in the glove compartment--- I know I’ve had that car for what --- 4 years now? Just last week I decided to clean out the glove box. I found that watch, several hair pins, the pin number for the previous owner’s bank account, some “Navy Reserves” sunglasses, (that I could have sworn I’ve thrown away several times before) and to top it off directions to the previous owner’s doctor’s office and a copy of the previous owner’s birth control method instructions.
Thank you so much previous owners . .. . You know who you are . . . as if I didn’t know too much already.

Anyway, back to me and my bleeding thumb.
Well, there’s actually not any more to the story of the bleeding thumb. I just bought a new watch since the old one was broken and the battery was dead and Wal-Mart didn’t have a new battery.
When I got home I found another watch with the same size battery and I fixed the band, so now I have an abundance of watches.
Thanks for your concern.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing out loud, mostly because I thought you really did throw the watch across the jewelry counter and run off screaming "I'm bleeding. BLEEDING!!" and I think it's the good and right thing to do.

But I guess all the neighbors here must think I am just crazy for laughing out loud over something they can't get.