Job 33:28

Friday, September 02, 2005

ao
I have this box of cassette tapes under my bed. Every time I clean under my bed, I look at the box and think, “I never listen to those tapes, I should throw them away.” (do you have to use quotation marks when you are thinking? I'm going with "yes.")

Then I think, “but I really liked those ones, maybe I’ll listen to them in the car." I even went so far as to take some of them to the car once and I listened to them a few times, then I spilled grape juice on them, but I still can’t convince myself to throw them away. I’m going to do it though—I’m going to! No more sticky grape juice Wham! tape. No more icky-purple Dwight Yoakum, I say “no!” to the Hits of 1997!

But there is one, one spared the grape juice, one that I must keep for . . . well, I must keep it forever and forever.

It’s labeled “Music to Drive to Church By” and the cover has a Confederate flag and a heart that says “ONJ+DM” on it. The song selections include ‘Walk on the Wild Side,’ ‘Billion Dollar Baby,’ some Jonathan Richman, lots of Olivia Newton John and a short story or two. My favorite of course is the one about walking across the dam in the storm.

I’m not feeling that mellow these days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I just found a bag and a Strawberry Shortcake "vintage" lunch box of old cassette tapes and had just such the same thoughts. And one of these days the devil will quit making cassette players in cars, just like he did with 8 track players, and I will surely then have to throw those tapes away. Or I might perhaps instead just sit around and sniff them like I used to 8 tracks and think about the good old days.