Job 33:28

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

In my class the other day we were discussing compulsory education. Should we have it? I said yes, to my great surprise most of the rest of the class said we shouldn’t! And the arguments they gave for their opinions were shocking! I was sitting in a classroom full of teachers getting maters degrees to become principles and they were saying things like, “This country spends too much money on education! Not everyone needs a Cadillac education!” Good Lord, have Mercy! We are a rich nation, if we aren’t spending money on education, what exactly should we be spending money on?!! And the implications of that statement . . . if not everyone should have a “Cadillac” education, who gets one? Who decides on who gets one? What do the rest get? A “Kia” education?

Another woman said, “Well, ‘tortilla makers’ don’t need math and science.” My jaw dropped at the offensive nature of that sentence. A group of educators agreeing that high school should not be required, that math and science should be allowed to fall by the wayside and that children should have the right to decide what education they need past the 8th grade.

Given the choice I wouldn’t have struggled through math and science in high school, but I’m glad I didn’t have the choice. I’m glad I was forced to use my brain and encouraged to try things (and even fail at things along the way) that stretched my understanding and knowledge of the world.

I agree that education in this country certainly could use some reworking. I agree that not every child is destined for college. But even ‘tortilla makers’ can benefit from math and science.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everybody needs everything... that's my opinion. I wish I had been taught tortilla making IN math and science!! In the land of the Kia Education, it seems like the kids get to pick and choose everything: who to beat up, what to throw, what tone of voice to yell in, when to show up and what to bring to class. There's not as much discipline as the outside world is led to believe... Here I am to teach English, and then I'm told it doesn't matter to many of my students. "They are poor and how could they ever hope to use it? We need trash collectors; we don't need them to speak English." But I think it's good just to show a child that something else is possible, especially in a land where they don't see a lot of 3D people who are different colors, shapes, and sizes. I am told that in middle school and high school, they choose their path and go to a school that locks them into (oops "trains them for") a career. This I am told by people who are teachers because of the vacation, because their dads told them it was a good secure government job... whose last answer would be "Because I care about the children, about motivating and inspiring and helping, about shaping the future..., because I feel satisfaction in it." Instead, they focus on their own status and security. They don't have the option to switch careers. I wonder about your American educator classmates - do they just want to assure their own position and decide who should be told they are able to achieve some dream?? I think a person can spin their wheels in the educational system and expect it to make them into something when THEY have to do it themselves...(I have a couple dozen "hobby hours" and a "hobby degree" or two) but let the individual have the chance to figure that out in their 20s or 30s when they are making tortillas or filing papers and have their "I went to college for THIS??" crisis.

Anonymous said...

I agree totally with both of you. I didn't declare my major until I was a junior in college, and then I switched around some in my graduate work. I also believe that all the options should be laid out in front of all the kids so they can explore and decide later. Not only would they not be able to make an informed decision at that early of an age as far as what career path they would like to choose, I'm guessing at that age that it's really not even their choice, but rather a choice they are lead to by teachers and/or parents.

I have worked with special ed students in the past and the limitations of what they are exposed to are dredful. Everything was twisted toward practical applications only. They would go to English and learn to write a check, go to math and learn to write a check, etc. without learning anything interesting. If boring stuff like that was all I was ever taught, I'd hate school too. While they resisted at first, after I had taught them some things, like how to play chess, they loved it!

I'm glad there are people like you chosing to teach.

fp

Anonymous said...

i thought i was the only one who noticed how stupid everyone in that class is! enjoying the blog, ym