Job 33:28

Monday, February 07, 2005

Ash Wednesday is this week, and then 40 days of Lent. I love the way Christians fast. We’ll “fast” for 40 days, but that doesn’t include Sundays. And we are only be fasting from one thing. Traditionally, Greek Orthodox believers fast from meat for Lent. I don’t know what’s up with the Catholics, seems like they get to choose. Sometimes they give up gum, or Pepsi.

I’ve chosen wheat this year. (I fast from meat regularly) I like to choose something that will affect me on a daily basis, so I can remember what I’m doing. Not just what I’m fasting from, but what I’ve personally associated Lent with in these past few years. This is the time to fix broken things. This is the time to throw away things you don’t need. This is the time to give away things you thought you needed, you think you still need to make you happy. I guess this is spring cleaning for your soul.

Starting Wednesday, there are 40 days to consider the past year, who you’ve been and who you want to be after the resurrection. There are 40 days to bring yourself to change, 40 days to confess, apologize, forgive, atone and change.

Here we go

No comments: