Job 33:28

Friday, May 23, 2003

Freedom in nothing




Because New Year’s resolutions are too hard, I decided to make a series of New Month resolutions. This month it is an experiment in poverty and plenty.

I’m certainly not alone in my hand to mouth experiences, but sometimes I wonder if people realize that sometimes there really isn’t any benefactor in sight who’s going to help us out of whatever crisis we may find ourselves in. There’s not working mom and dad to help with the rent this month. There aren’t any retired grandparents with great credit and a some extra to lend a little to get the car fixed. No brothers or sisters who could scrape a little together for the electric bill.

Nothing. Nothing to be seen in any event. All my friends are equally as poor as I am.

Fortunately, I’m an optimist. I have hope because I have a provider. I always have. I’ve always had a provider, sometimes I lose sight of the hope.

But this month I wanted to see it again. To aid in my quest, I decided to spend nothing for one week. Nothing, not even one penny. I started Tuesday, the 20th. I have come across some inconvinences. 1. I have to do careful research in my cook books to find a recipe that contains only the ingredients I have (or can find a substitute for in my pantry) 2. I went to the library (cheap and free entertainment) however, I cannot check out a book, I have a fine on my card.
3. My habits of looking at adds and wandering around stores for that “really amazing deal” is useless. Even if I find that really amazing deal, I can’t have it.

That’s fine. The point of the exercise it to remember how much have already. I don’t need to buy anything, even if I can afford it.

I did go to the mall yesterday. I tried on a key-lime-pie-green formal gown.

The strategy is to only look at and try on things you would never buy. But much to my surprise, it was kinda cute once I got it on! DRAT!
Ah . . . were would I have to go to wear a key-lime-pie-green formal gown anyway?

I have freedom in needing and buying nothing.

No comments: