Job 33:28

Tuesday, July 23, 2024

an appointment for a dental evaluation

 


So- we had to change dentists because of insurance changes.  My girls all need some work- and hubby and I are terrible about dental appointments.  Of all the things that cause me anxiety on the level that I would like to have medication- it is dental work.

I knew I needed some work done, but since this was a first-time appointment, I thought they would just do the checkup, take some ex-rays, and tell me how much everything would cost.  I would then make the next appointment and go about my business.  HOWEVER- that was not the case.  They did the evaluation, took the ex-rays, told me what I needed and how much it would cost then said, "So we'll do the deep cleaning and the crown right now."

And I was (like a dummy) all, "Yeah, okay."

Five and a half hours later all the surfaces in my mouth hurt as I was leaving the office. 

What- the- WHAT!

First of all, they make their own crowns in-house in two hours- which means there is an inordinate amount of scanning that occurs.  Second, they were extra busy, and the dentist kept losing track of her dental assistant.  When she found him she got to work grinding and drilling out an old crown at the very back of my mouth.  

Then when the dental hygienist wasn't available the dentist decided to go ahead and do my deep cleaning herself.  

She turned that water pick up to FULL BLAST and intensively and aggressively gave her full attention to all my plaque. It felt like she was shoving razor blades between my teeth and gums.  I kept trying to repeat Psalm 23 to myself to calm down- but I couldn't even do that because I would get lost and start over every time I started wondering why this woman hated my gums so much."You set a table before me in the presence of my enemies."  Finally, the hygienist walked in and the dentist said, "Oh there you are- I finished the bottom- but I'm not sure I got everything- so go over it again and then continue to the top." NOT SURE SHE GOT EVERYTHING?!  MY GUMS ARE HANGING IN TATTERS!

The hygienist was calm and as mild as milk.  She introduced herself and said, "Ok, let's see how it looks." She picked up the water pick again, I closed my eyes and thought, "The Lord is my shepherd . . . " Then she proceeded to prod around and although I know she turned on the pick because I could hear it, in my mouth it felt like a gentle rain - a warm summer shower,  pleasant and refreshing- "He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still waters," and I feared no evil.

Then she said, "Ok, so I'm going to put some numbing gel on your upper gums before I start those ones, is that okay with you?" Have mercy, I was actually looking forward to a deep cleaning from this dental angel.  THEN THE DENTIST CAME BACK IN and said, "I'll finish."

"Lo- though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death . . ."

Then the dentist said, "I'm going to finish with the laser."

Verily- the laser was much less vengeful than the water pick. 

Then after all that- it was time to put on the crown.  

I think we were all tired by that time, so even though the crown was sitting a bit high after four adjustments I said, "It's fine-yeah it's okay now."

And I have two more appointments next week.  

No comments: