Job 33:28

Wednesday, April 07, 2021

book list

 The other day I made a book list page in my notebook.  It's good to look back and remember what I have read. After I made the page I wanted to write down all the books I've read so far in 2021.  I was shocked to find (about myself) that it was March and I have only read one book in 2021.  That's disappointing. I mean- the year is 1/4 over and I've only read one book?!  Ugh.

So I snapped to it and read another one right quick.

Now I'm reading "The Collected Works of Oscar Wilde".  No lie- I was skeptical at first.  I wanted to read "A Picture of Dorian Gray," so I bought the collection.  Of course, that particular work was not in the collection. When I started reading the first story I was not impressed.  The writing is excellent as expected, but the topic was Shakespeare.  I know people who like English literature are supposed to love Shakespeare- but I'm not those people.  

I finally pushed my way through that story, and was delighted to find the other stories much more to my liking. They are, so far, everything I think a short story should be.  There is always a nice little twist at the end that makes me feel like I haven't wasted my time. 

I am also reading - rereading "A Handmaid's Tale." It has always been one of my favorites.  I'm preparing to read the sequel for the first time.  I have also started a book titled "How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen."  I need that one because my little kids pretend words don't exist sometimes.

CS Lewis is on my list of 'to read' and I'll have to wait to see what else comes up!

No comments: