Job 33:28

Monday, October 22, 2012

We watched "The Book of Eli" last week.  It made me wonder about an uncertain future without books. It doesn't have to be  Fahrenheit 451.  It could just be the end of the love of books in paper form.  I was at the bookstore yesterday.  I was there to work, but of course I took a few minutes to brows the shelves.  I Love Books. I like how they look, I like how they smell.  I like how they feel heavy in my hands.  I like what's in them (mostly.)

The problem is that I've given in the the convenience of the digital book.  I also love my Kindle.  (Little "l" love.) I love that I can carry a library in my bag.  I love that I can read War and Peace or Les Miserables (or more likely Harry Potter) and my hand won't go numb trying to hold up the volume.  I like the built in dictionary and I really like the idea of many of the other features that I never use.  I love that many titles are cheaper than (or free)  the paper version.  There's a lot to love about e-readers.

But I still love books, Beautiful picture books and substantial leather bound, gold leaf books.   I've been working on the same (paper) book for about 8 months now.  It's not the most interesting book, but it's not bad.  Reading for work, life and laziness keep me from it, from many books that I really want to read!

No comments: