Job 33:28

Saturday, April 11, 2009

In class last week we read this poem,
http://www.internal.org/view_poem.phtml?poemID=109
“Out- out-” by Robert Frost.

First I asked, “What is the story about?”
They said, “We don’t understand.”
I said, “Look at the first line, where is the setting?”
They said, “We don’t know what it means.”
I said, “Look at it, it says, “The buzz saw snarled and rattled in the yard.” Where are they?"
They said, “What’s a buzz saw?”
This is where it started getting out of hand.
Me: "It’s a motorized saw."
Student 1 : "I don’t know what it is."
Me: "It’s a saw that has a motor, it runs on gas so you can work faster.”
Student 1: "No, I don’t know."
Me: “A chain saw, a motor saw, it makes a sound like “Buzzz!” Texas Chain Saw Massacre?” (Insert miming a chainsaw action)
Student 1: “No.”
Me: “Okay never mind, it’s a saw with a motor, that’s all.
Student 1 talks to Student 2.
Student 3: “I don’t understand, what is a saw?”
Me: (thinking) Déjà vu!
Me: “It’s a tool you use to cut down trees."
Student 3: “What is ‘cut down trees’?”
Me: (thinking) What have I been doing all semester? Do I actually teach English?
Me: “Trees are made out of wood, when you want to use the wood you have to kill the tree and ‘cut it down.” It falls down, then you cut it into pieces to use it.”
Student 1: “I got it!”
Me: “What?”
Student 1: “Buzz saw, chain saw, Texas Chain Saw Massacre!”
Me: “Okay, good.”
Insert translation of “Texas Chain Saw Massacre” into French, where it sounds much less gory.
Student 3: “Oh! It is logical, it makes that sound, so it has that name.”
Student 1: “It isn’t logical! You don’t name things for the way they sound . . .”
I left the room, the conversation was making me thirsty.
I came back and said, “Okay, does everyone know what a ‘buzz saw is now?”
Me: “Good, so what does ‘snarled’ mean?”
Blank looks- I should try a new question.
Me: “Animals make this sound, what kind of animal do you think can make a sound similar to a saw?”
Student 1: “A bird?”
Me: “No.”
Student 2 “A cow?”
Me: “No.”
Student 3: “A car?”
Me: “An Animal!”
Student 4: “Oh! I know! It is the sound a spider makes!”
I’ve lost patience already, and this answer . . . well . . .
Me: “The sound a SPIDER makes?! What sounds do spiders make?”
My imagination is already running wild with thoughts of giant screaming, snarling Venezuelan fighting- jungle spiders . . . I don’t even know if Venezuela has a jungle . . .
Student 4: “Oh! No! I mean a snake!”
Me: “Uh- no. I’ll just tell you. A dog or a wild animal like a bear or monkey when it is angry and it shows it’s teeth, like a growl. So you see, in the first line he is saying that the saw sounds angry like an animal when it cuts the wood.” *poorly worded sentence . . . now I'm thinking about an animal cutting wood . . . no, I mean- While it is cutting wood, the saw sounds like an angry animal. HA!*
Students: “oh, yeah …”

The first line took so much time an energy I wasn’t sure I wanted to go on.

No comments: