Job 33:28

Monday, July 14, 2008

One of my students was talking on the phone in class. I asked her why she was talking on the phone during class time, she said, “I don’t know!” So I asked her who she was talking to, she said, “I don’t know!” then she said, “He wants his Jackie.” I asked her if she told him he had the wrong number. She said “Yes!” I asked her why she was still talking to him in that case. She said, “I don’t know! He called me his Jackie!”

I said, “Give me the phone.” I took the phone and told the guy he had called my international student and she didn’t understand what he wanted, and asked who he was calling for. He said he was just trying to talk to Jackie somebody. I said, “I’m sorry, you have the wrong number.” He said, “Yeah I figured I might when she didn’t know what I was talking about.” So I hung up.

I asked my student why that was so difficult. “If you get a wrong number, you just say, ‘I’m sorry, you have the wrong number’ and hang up!”
She said, “But he called me his Jackie!”
I said, “But you aren’t Jackie!”
She said, “I thought he knew me!”
I said, “How could he know you if he called you the wrong name?”
She said, “He called me his Jackie!”
I said, “Are you Jackie?”
She said, “Jackie means “honey” in Korean. He said, “Hi Jackie (honey) and talked to me and I am not his Jackie (honey!) He was a bad man!”
Me: “Uh- no, he’s not a bad man . . . he just wanted to talk to (his) Jackie.”

That poor guy . . .

1 comment:

Dean's Parents said...

Now THAT is funny!I need a good laugh! The funniest things happen to you.