Job 33:28

Monday, February 11, 2008

I feel really sad. It seems I’ve done something terrible and I don’t get to explain or apologize. I’ve been accused of defamation. To say the least I suppose- insult to the point of calling in lawyers and telling me I’m crazy and mean and inconsiderate.

I feel bad because I don’t understand how things went so wrong. I feel angry because I asked to please let me explain myself, but this person’s anger and hurt was so deep that wasn’t possible. I wasn’t even given a change to apologize.

I feel betrayed because although this person claimed to be a Christian, there was no charity in the reaction I was given. I understand that this person believed I have not displayed charity by my actions either, but communications are often misunderstood, and to give an opportunity to explain, apologize and forgive (if not forget) is a basic tenet of my belief system.

I’m sorry. I never intended to hurt or insult you.

This kind of misunderstanding happened to me once before. Then there was far more involved than what I understood at the time. It was bitter for me, but eventually the other person accepted my apology and also apologized. The break never healed completely, but we have no ill feelings about one another any more. That is Christianity, if not in perfection, than acted out in our own human, imperfect imitation of Christ.

I’m not perfect. Communication is not perfect. Interpretation is not perfect.

We never understand as much as we think we understand.

No comments: