Job 33:28

Monday, November 13, 2006

There are some things which I, Shannon Peterson, will never understand. Among them:
Algebra
Why some “modern art” is acclaimed
Why my dog can’t stop himself from peeing in the house
The mysterious inner workings of the Indian Postal System.

I got a call this morning that I had a package to pick up at the post office and that I would have to pay 618 Rupees for customs. I haven’t had to pay for customs for any other packages (ignoring that ordeal with the FedEx package.)

So I went to pick up this special package that somehow got caught in the customs trap that all my other packages escaped. It was smallish- it looked innocent enough. The post office guy gave me all the forms- had me sign them, I gave him my money and he looked at the package and said, “What’s in there?” (Or something close to that, at least that’s what I think he meant when he pointed at the package and mumbled something unintelligible to me.) I got the indication that he was just as mystified about the special attention from customs as I was. I told him I didn’t know- I didn’t even know who it was from.

When I got the package I saw it was one of the long lost birthday packages mailed back in August. When I got home to open it I found two books and some Cheezits and Cheetos. Opening the box did not solve the customs mystery- I still have no idea why they pulled that one aside and decided to charge for it, nor can I understand why Buzz likes to pee on my dirty clothes . . . some mysteries may never be solved.

No comments: