Job 33:28

Thursday, November 30, 2006



I just read an article about knitting- and really enjoyed it. I giggled at a few statements, recognizing myself in the author’s words- then I realized what a freakin’ knitting nerd I am.

I mean, who “really enjoys” an article about knitting? Who even reads them? How many people out there (raise your hands) have ever “recognized themselves” in the words of article . . . about knitting?

Let me give you the address of the article so you may enjoy it yourself- but I know you won’t!

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/FEATdontgiveitaway.html

Let me give you a few quotes I loved:

“I sew up the seams of the poncho and rather innocently wear it to my local yarn store on a busy Sunday, for maximum effect, and receive a compliment from another customer.

"Why yes, I did make it," I respond with false modesty.

In turn, I eye what she's buying and ask, "What are you working on?" and maybe she'll say, "Some Nordic mittens" or "A knit bear" or "A tweedy cardigan" or "Oh, just a scarf. I only knit scarves." But I'll immediately sense the sophistication of the yarns she's knitting together for that scarf, or wish I had plans to knit mittens, or feel the sting of the inherent practicality of a cardigan or imagine how cute that bear would turn out. I'm consumed with jealousy.”

“I delight in the thought that selecting this particular yarn and pattern will mean that I will need to buy more needles.
Perfect.”


“I don't want that project over this one, or think the grass is greener on the other side. I think all the grass is green everywhere, and I want to be rolling in knitting projects. I suppose this is why people have stash problems.”

I have a stash problem and it’s not my fault! You know who you are who fed my addiction and sent way more yarn than I asked for! I’m not even going to talk about all the yarn I have in storage.

If knitting where my only hobby things might be . . . well not under control, but at least manageable- but no- I also like to glue things together and paint things and cut stuff up just to sew it back together; and cross stitch and look things up then write stuff down- and take pictures and tell stories- and although it may not be evident most of the I sometimes organize things for fun!

Let’s get back to knitting. My current knitting projects:
1. Shrug/wrap- almost finished, just need to sew up the arms
2. Three scarves two of the same pattern- neither of them using the suggested yarn in the pattern.
3. Sweater which I started the day God told Moses his personal name, no where near finished.
4. Christmas stocking I may actually finish this weekend.
5. A very very very small beaded purse which may never ever get finished.
I’m knitting with needles the size of tooth picks!

Knitting s trendy- has it always been trendy? My mother was a fantastic knitter. She could knit anything she had a picture of- for some reason she never got around to learning how to read a pattern.

I can read a pattern-sort of- and I have the modern miracle of the internet to show me how to do the rest.

I am not a fantastic knitter- but I’m working on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, I won't read it. I won't read it on principle. I mean, c'mon, the Bible specificially talks against stuff like this. Thou Shalt Not Read About Knitting. How more direct can you be. God knew your weaknesses and foresaw your downfall. He put it there to help you. Why do you keep rejecting his ways? All he wants is for you to return to him and give up your knitting ways. Please, for your own sake (and ours and Mr. Dangley's) give up the knitting. It isn't good for you, you are just killing yourself. We all hate to see you do this to yourself. We are here to help you. You can overcome this. We will support you 100%. You can always rely on us to be there for you. Remember when God is on your side so are we. :-7