Job 33:28

Thursday, October 05, 2006

I dreamed the other night that my brother studied "Smith numbers" and that these numbers had something to do with medicine.

I've never heard of "Smith numbers" before.

So I looked them up on Google, feeling pretty sure there was no such thing.

Behold my error:

http://www.math.eku.edu/PJCostello/smith.htm

Smith Numbers

One interesting property of some positive integers came into existence because of a phone call. In 1982, Harold Smith called his brother-in-law, mathematician Albert Wilansky of Lehigh University, with the observation that his phone number was composite and the sum of the digits in the phone number equals the sum of the digits in its prime factors. Wilansky published this observation [6] and it was the birth of Smith numbers.

We introduce two arithmetic functions and then restate the definition of Smith numbers in terms of these two functions. Let S(N) represent the sum of the digits in N. Let Sp(N) represent the sum of the digits in the primes in the factorization of N. For example, Sp(12) = Sp(2*2*3) = 2+2+3 =7.

Definition. A composite integer N is called Smith if S(N) = Sp(N).

Well, I don't know what all this means, nor do I know what they have to do with medicine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, don't feel so lonely; I'm sadly one of the very few that remembers that chismbob existed. I googled it the other day and there were only about 4 or 5 entries where someone was reminiscing about the old finger math technique. And not a one mentioned that Fred McMurry used to do the commercials. But in elementary school, me and my friend sure got a lot of laughs pretending that we could do chismbob! :0)

Anonymous said...

Im lost as well.....why is math important again?

Anonymous said...

Hey!! I know Chisenbop! I had a class on it as a kid. There are a lot more than 4 or 5 google entries.. try about 10,400. It is an interesting way to count and do math on your fingers!!
Anyway, about the other math thingie. Picture it as a special and exclusive math club for Smith numbers only. Only special numbers qualify to be allowed into the club and be allowed to be called Smith Numbers. There is only one qualification though. The qualification required to enter the Smith Number club is this: the sum of the digits of a number (such as 4 and 2 for the number 42) equal the sum of the digits of the prime factorization (such as 7 and 2 and 3 for the number 42) of that number. The example of 42 is NOT a Smith number because 4+2 = 6 and that is not equal to 7+2+3 = 12. The Smith Number club is a very exclusive club as you can see. The challenge is to try to discover a Smith number on your own without looking one up on the web... good luck!! :-7

Anonymous said...

mrfixit,

OK, so only 4 or 5 people thought it was "Chismbob" like me. Dang that Fred MacMurray!! There;s even an online tutorial about Chisenbop! Cool! Thanks for the info. Just a week or so ago, I finally found out that the space rocket I used to play with my old Major Matt Mason doll was actually a "G.I. Joe Mercury Space Capsule" and that the title of one of my favourite books as a kid was "Miss Twiggley's Tree"!

Right now, I have another nostalgia puzzle; I destinctly remember a goofy Superman-type character in Saturday morning commercials for, I'm pretty sure, Chips Ahoy cookies - He was like the "Chips Ahoy Man" or something and I remember that he would do silly things like fight off inflatable monsters on the beach in the commercials, but I cannot find any information on that OR on which Peanuts characters were on which Flavors of Zinger's cupcakes; I think I remember Linus being on the plain yellow cake ones (like Twinkies) and Lucy being on the chocolate ones with chocolate icing on top, but I'm not sure.

So thanks again for the Chisenbop info; It's good to know Chisenbop is alive and well! And I'll continue on with my other serious research work. :0)