Job 33:28

Sunday, October 01, 2006



The football boys.

The football boys came to me with a great story. I'd say a story worth at least the approximately $2.00 that I gave them. (FYI that is a crazy amount of money to give to people begging here in India, the general practice is to give not more than 5 or 6 Rupees which is about 15 cents.)

They introduced themselves as John, John and (don't remember the boy in red, but his shirt says "Christian Boys" and I thought that was cute. They told me they are good Christian boys. They told me their fathers were fishermen, but the water was too rough- and fishing wasn't good now. They told me they were very good football (soccer) players, and did I like football?

I told them I didn't really follow it. They told me their team could win a championship, but unfortunalty, they could not play. It was so sad. (They let me me know.) They told me the reason they could not win is because they could not play, and the reason they could not play was that (dramatic pause) they didn't have a football.

They told me that they could buy one and play if only they had 450 Rupees (about $9.00.) I told them I was not going to give them 450Rps. But I would give them some money- and if Igave them money they had to promise that they would not ask me for any more money the rest of the weekend.

They promised.

I have them 100 Rps. They were so happy! They promised they would dedicate the football to me- in a special ceremony and that the would always remember me when they played. (Great- dedicate a ball to me then remember me while they kick the crap out of it.)

Later in the weekend they had gathered around me again to follow me around the beach- and chat about their village and the Jesus statue on the beach and whatnot when another boy came to ask for money and they chased him away.

They were good boys after all.

No comments: