Job 33:28

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Sometimes things just seem to accumulate.

Right now, things that irritate me are accumulating.

Last night when I got home at 2:45AM the gates to my apartment building were locked. Sometimes they are, some times they aren’t, depending on the mood of the guard.

So, I rattled the gates, like I do.

Usually I rattle once or twice and the guard comes out blinking sleep out of his eyes, none to happy to see me—Whatever, it’s my job to work late- it’s his job to let me in the gate.

So I rattled the gate, several times. Nobody came out to unlock the gate.

So the driver of my cab got out and climbed over the gate and went to wake up the guard. When the guard finally got up, he didn’t know where the keys were.

My driver had to find the keys.

The driver handed the keys to the guard. The guard looked at the keys like he was some idiot savant and unlocking gates was not his gift.

The driver took the keys away from him and opened the gate himself.

Then the driver told me in his minimal English to report that guard.

That I will do.

Yesterday I learned that I had received two packages.

I didn’t find this information from my company who had received them, but from the senders who had received delivery confirmation.

That irritated me.

I wrote an email to my company and told them I knew I had two packages, and I would be in in the morning to pick them up.

In the morning they called to tell me I had packages.

Duh!

I went to pick them up. They gave me one package and one letter. I asked for the other package and for my insurance card which was promised 40 days from my start date (86 business days ago.)

They said there was only one package and the card wasn’t ready yet. The card would be ready by this weekend, which is what they told me two weeks ago.

I told them I had been given confirmation that the other package had been delivered, and asked them where they supposed it was.

They suggested the post office.

I knew it wasn’t there.

I told them I’d be back on Friday.

They called when I was about half way home to tell me they had found the other package.

I seriously wanted to slap somebody.

I had ordered the missing package from a company in Mumbai. They promised it was delivered, but I didn’t have it a month later. I thought they were inept.

Now I know it wasn’t the company I ordered from (at least not completely) but it was the company that I work for who can’t manage to make a phone call or send an email to let me know to pick up a package.

No comments: