Job 33:28

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I went to Trivandrum this past weekend. That’s the old name- the new name is Thiruvananthapuram. I think they just changed it to Mock and Taunt English speakers.

But that’s just a theory.

It was so nice to get a way from the city- I spent the whole weekend sitting in the shade looking at the ocean, walking down the beach- playing in the waves, taking pictures of fishing boats (I probably have about 100 pictures of fishing boats.) swimming the pool, reading and enjoying the sounds of nature.

The airline let me know the flight had been pushed forward about an hour and a half before the flight departed. I was sitting in a restaurant waiting for my order when I found out I had 45 minutes to get to the airport. I was about to cancel my order when they said, “It’s ready!” I paid, and grabbed the bag and ran for it.

The airport isn’t that far way- but being that I’m in India- I just never know what’s going to happen next so I thought I better not chance missing this flight- I had to get out of town!

I put the food in my carry on bag and got to the airport in time to sit down and enjoy my lunch before the flight. I pulled the tin foil wrapped packets out the bag and realized first that there were too many packets. I opened the packets and realized next they all contained chicken. That was a sad moment for this vegetarian.

When we landed I realized I had been in such a rush to get to the airport I had forgotten to write down the name of the hotel I was supposed to meet the group at the next night.

I decided that I would just find a hotel, stay one night, check my email to learn the name of the hotel we were staying the rest of the weekend at and all would be well. A guy from the flight heard me telling the tourist desk agent that I didn’t have a place to stay that evening. He suggested a hotel and secured a cab for me.

When we got to the suggested hotel they showed me the room prices. The cheapest rooms (which of course they didn’t recommend since they didn’t have a sea view) were 90. I asked if that was 90 dollars, thinking that was pretty pricy. He said, “Oh, no!” (How silly of me to ask) “That’s 90 euros!”

I nearly choked- that’s a lot of money for India and a lot of money for Shannon.

I asked for a discount. He took it down to 70 euros- which is still about $90. I told him that was still too much for me and could he recommend a place for about $50 a night?

He told me to try Travancore Heritage Resort. So off I went in the taxi I had retained after seeing the price list.

I went to Travancore- and got a room. Then I checked my email to see where I would have to go the next day- I had to go all the way to Travancore Heritage Resort. I had just unknowingly walked into the resort 68 kilometers from the airport where we were going to stay for the weekend.

The first thing I did when I got to the resort was get lost. It was a pretty big place, and it was dark and I get lost going around a corner. The second thing I did at the resort (while I was lost) was fall in a hole and skin up and bruise both my shins and my right knee.

Obviously things were staring out well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm... I never stayed in a place more than 5 or 10 bucks...