Job 33:28

Monday, August 21, 2006


I don't remember ever pretending to be a princess when I was a little girl.

I told pk this and she said her nieces weren't allowed to pretend to be princesses on account of the princesses killing their mothers.

I protested, I never heard of a princess killing her mother!

She pointed out that they always have dead mothers and/or (evil) step mothers. What is a good and alive mother to conclude?

Let’s think about this:

Cinderella’s mother- dead
Snow White’s mother- dead
Beauty (of the & the Beast)’s mother- dead
Did the little Mermaid have a mother? I don’t remember her.
What’s her face of Aladdin’s mother- no where to be found.

It does appear to be a trend . . .
I said, “Sleeping Beauty had a mother.”
She said, “I never heard of her- she must not have ever done anything great.”
True- in fact she let her daughter get cursed by an evil (fairy?)

This is a digression from my intent because- in fact, I didn’t really want to talk about princesses; because I didn’t want to be one when I was a kid.

Except for WonderWoman- she was a princess, but she was a kick-butt princess. I didn’t want to be her because she was a princess, but because she 1. she had a cool outfit 2. she had a golden lasso of truth and 3. she had an invisible jet.

And her mother- ALIVE!

Any way . . .

Since I didn’t ever pretend to be a princess I was thinking about what I did pretend to be when I was a kid.

My cousin and I had these mermaid dolls. They were called “Sea-Wees.” I loved my Sea-Wee. She had red hair and a turquoise body. She was a tub toy. She came with accessories: she had a baby, a comb, and a lilly-pad shaped sponge she and the baby could float around on.

My cousin’s Sea-Wee had blonde hair and a pink body. The past few days I’ve been obsessed thinking about these silly dolls we had when we were about 5.

So I looked on E-bay to get a picture of a Sea-Wee and I hit a bonanza of Sea-Wees! If all goes well I will have a bunch of Sea-Wees to do with what I may!

(A fool and her money are soon parted when she looks up childhood toys of E-bay.)

All that to say: when I was a kid, I pretended to be a mermaid, not a princess. (Unless it was WonderWoman, who is a princess, but not a mermaid.)

When My cousin and I went swimming we would take our Sea-Wees and have great adventures with them. Then we would take our hair out of the pony tails and the braids and swish it around in the water and tell each other how beautiful our mermaid hair was in the water.

So- I didn't grow up to be a mermaid- but I am a princess . . . I should have known to practice!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did I really say that? I thought Sleeping Beauty's mother was there but couldn't prevent the curse on her daughter... that's what she did...