Job 33:28

Saturday, October 29, 2005

I went to a party tonight and met a man, who although perhaps only addressed three comment to me, changed a negative first impression into a “I’d really like to know that guy” impression.

Who knows how long he had been there (drinking) before we showed up. It seems it could have been quite a while, but in reality probably not long at all.

He was a man of a “certain age” late 40s, early 50s. He had thinning, graying hair, a loud voice, perfect teeth and was wearing a flamingo pink sports jacket. His wife was thin and not beautiful in a conventional way but attractive, natural and quiet.

They were playing poker (I was watching) and this guy, Greg, was making up his own games and rules when it was his turn to call the game. The bets were ranging from 25 cents to a dollar. He bet “fiddy cent” each round. Mostly because he liked to say, “fiddy cent.”

What came off as loud and obnoxious at first turned into funny and fun loving. ( I was only drinking water for your information!) He was laughing and making every one else laugh and I suddenly realized that he reminded me very much of someone I knew from college.

He even looked like my friend a little. I felt like asking Greg his family name, even though the likelihood of them being related was slim.
I guess I just miss my friend.
I hope in 20 years that is my friend at a party.
Laughing and making everyone laugh.

No comments: