Job 33:28

Sunday, October 19, 2003

maybe why I'm skeptical:
I was the youngest grandchild. That left me open to being picked on by not just my older brothers, buy by my cousins too. One time when I was a little kid, maybe 5, they showed me a piece of candy and said, "This is a pill."
I said, "No it' isn't." It looked like candy to me.
They insisted it was a pill and I had to take it. They said "Don't bite it, swollow it with water."
They gave it to me, I put it in my mouth and bit it. Just as I had suspected, a red hot.
I said, "It's candy."
They said, "It's a pill, now swallow it this time." And they gave me another one.
I bit it, and said, "It's candy."
They said, "NO! it's a pill! SWALLOW it!" and they gave me another one.

Now, even at the tender age of 5 I knew that this was a game all to my advantage: I figured if I went along with the story and swollowed the "pill", they would probably stop giving me candy, but if my skepticism remained, I could probably get all the candy I wanted.

I've been feeling pretty skeptical lately, where's my candy?

No comments: