Job 33:28

Monday, March 03, 2003

Eccentricity-Eccentricity
I was told I was eccentric. I haven't thought of myself in that adjective before. I think of old ladies with big hats and brightly colored shoes as eccentric. You know, the ones who wear a ring (or two or three) on every finger, have crazy white hair and give you tidbits of life wisdom when you least expect it.
"If it has tires or testicles, you're going to have trouble with it."
"Oh, okay."
I've thought of aspiring to eccentricity in my old age . . .

I suppose eccentricity must be measured on a scale. Maybe the one who called me eccentric just has a much smaller scale than to I.

Main Entry: 1ec·cen·tric
Pronunciation: ik-'sen-trik, ek-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Medieval Latin eccentricus, from Greek ekkentros, from ex out of + kentron center
Date: circa 1630
1 a : deviating from an established or usual pattern or style b : deviating from conventional or accepted usage or conduct especially in odd or whimsical ways

No comments: