Job 33:28

Thursday, February 27, 2003

I found a book on Kwanzaa, it is, of course out of season, however, it was also on clearance. I figure learning about a new holiday for $2.00 is an extreamly good deal. I will certainly add it to my repetoir of holidays to be celebrated. (Yes, I realize it is an African American holiday, but I figure half is good enough-- I am, after all American.)

Here are a few quotes that impressed me deeply from my new book, A Kwanzaa Keepsake. Celebrating the Holiday with New Traditions and Feasts

It wouldn't be funny if I were making it up myself. . .
"Those who think that holidays are days steeped in centuries-old tradition are always surprised to hear that the African-American feast of Kwanzaa was established in 1966. The name Kwanzaa comes from the Swahili word kwanza, meaning first. The second "a" distinguishes the African-American from the African kwanza "

"An apocryphal tale is told that during one of the early Kwanzaa celebrations, a children's pagent was held, with each child holding up a card with the letters of the word kwanza, which was spelled at that time with one "a." One child was left, letterless and weeping, at the end of the row. A second "a" was quickly produced, the day was saved, and the holidaywas forever after known as Kwanzaa."

This, my friends, is "the miracle of the second a of kwanzaa." Let us celebrate together (when the time is right, I'll let you know) Kwanzaa with two a's.

No comments: