Job 33:28

Monday, January 27, 2003

“O Ye Jigs & Juleps!” Virginia Cary Hudson

“The Baptist church is next door to our church. They sing as loud as they can all the time we are trying to pray. I bet the Lord can’t hear one word we say. The Baptists sing about plunging sinners in a bloody fountain drawn from Emmanuel’s veins. We sing about Crown Him Lord of All. I think it is much more ladylike to crown the King than to be plunging around in a bloody fountain. I took the cotton off my sore finger once and stuffed it in my ear on the Baptist side. But just once. My mother attended to that.” Pg 7.

“But you sure hear plenty about Hell at the Baptist Church. . . . that preacher hollers himself red in the face about Hell. When you get to hell with your Everlasting Life, the devil waves his pitchfork and turns it into Everlasting Damnation, and he builds a fire under you and you wail and gnash your teeth . . . If I have to go to Hell, I sure hope I go to the one for Episckpalians, and don’t, by mistake, get pushed into that horn punching, and tail wagging, red hot blazing one the Baptists are going to have.” Pg 25.

“China has millions of people. The tall ones live up North and the short ones live down South. My grandmother says my legs are too long. I would have to live up North and that would be aweful. But maybe China does not have Yankees.” Pg 45.

No comments: