Job 33:28

Monday, December 09, 2002

Ft. Hood, the largest military base in the free world. (Which of course begs the questions, “where is the bound world and who has their largest military base?”) I forgot to ask, I was distracted by an airfield full of $18 million helicopters, and lots and lots full of sandy colored jeeps, hummers, trucks, tanks and other unidentifiable to me vehicles.

I went to Ft Hood this weekend for a visit with “any soldier” as in, during the Gulf War you could write a letter to any soldier and maybe someone would write back. He did and we’ve been pen pals since 1991. I suppose once you meet a pen pal, he’s not your pen pal any more, just a regular old pal. Drat, I don’t have any pen pals left.

I learned ever so much about tanks and helicopters, about military structure and funding. I found out that the stuffed mushrooms at Olive Garden have meat in them, remembered why I stopped watching scary movies years ago and realized that “Grease 2” has a really funny soundtrack. :0) I found out my soldier pal is sci-fi geek. I love sci-fi, but I’m no where near as geeky as he is. (Geekiness is in the details.)

I reminded myself of the importance of relationship over life’s details. This is finals week, were I a “responsible” student I would have stayed home to study all weekend. But how often does one get to meet a friend she started to know years ago?

As females we constantly carry the weight of wariness. It was encouraging to know after all these years that he wasn’t an ax-murderer who wanted to rape and pillage me. I’ve heard all the horror stories about meeting people though the mail and on the net, but I was lucky enough to find another really nice guy. (I think) I’m a pretty tough judge of character, and he minded his manners so well. Of course before we met I may have mentioned the fact that if he “messed with me” I would have to stab him. That may have figured in. It’s hard to say. He may have thought I was kidding, but sufficiently threatened I believe I am that close to the edge of insanity. Thanks mom, I got that from you.

No comments: