Job 33:28

Friday, November 01, 2002

I don't have any problem saying I believe everything in the Bible is "gospel truth" (gospel: concerning the message of Christ, the kingdom of God and salvation.) Not literally true, not exclusively true, but it is true to my understanding of God, relationship with him and relationship with men. We've been given the right, even the responsibility within relationship, to interpret, reinterpret, understand, (at least really try to understand) and embrace what resources we have. Including the text. As people of God, we have been blessed (word not used lightly) with a wealth of written information, to help us gain the slightest glimpse of an indescribable entity. To me, the "gospel truth" of the Bible is shaded and nuanced, not changing in the times, but shifting within our understandings. It's beautiful in its art, engaging and repelling at the same time.

Honestly, I don't like reading the Bible (gasp from the audience) but I love to search it out, probe it, question it, and examine details. I love to hear it, learn it, say it, sing it, study it--know it.

I'll spare you all the reasons I proclaim thusly, it's more than enough that it is known it is easy to believe this way.

No comments: