Job 33:28

Saturday, October 19, 2002

My free lunch Friday Christians get alot of air time from me. I think its because I don’t want to really take advantage of their free lunches that I try to want to be involved with their other activities. But I’ve learned from my free lunch Christians that I’m a snob. They didn’t tell me so, they would never do such a thing, but I’ve realized that I am. Indeed, I am. But the food is usually good.

I went to a Bible study one week and snobbishly left feeling it was terribly shallow and uninformed.

I saw one of their banners on campus, their slogan for the year is “Live to Die.” I snobbishly thought 'that’s not the smartest slogan to have on a college campus if you want people who don’t know what it means to come to your ministry. College students don’t want to die, its not their thing.'

I read their news letter and snobbishly yawned at the most incredibly boring, trite and flat attempts of wit, humor and profundity I’ve read in some time.

*Sigh*

What to do with my free lunch Friday Christians? I’m sure they mean well. They are always nice at lunch. They know my name when I come in the door. This is where I wonder about my role in such situations. I take notice, but I’m not a revolutionist. I don’t
want to be, leadership seems to me disenchanting. Disenchantment is easy enough to come by without the hunt. Should I point out what I have noticed? Would it even make a difference? Would they be offended? What will it require of me? Most importantly, what
will it require of me? Am I ready to give it?

I don't think I am, not yet.

No comments: