Job 33:28

Saturday, June 08, 2024

spinning right-round-baby-right-round like a record baby right-round-round-round

 Some years ago my husband bought me a spinning wheel.  It's quite an expensive item.  I call it an apocalyptical hobby. When the world falls apart- we're still gonna need socks and sweaters.

I found my first attempt on the wheel the other day.  I didn't have a teacher- just me and YouTube on the loose with a spinning wheel.  My first spin was all the things.  It was overspun and underspun- meaning it had too much twist or too little twist.  It was all the sizes possible from as thin as thread to what is standardly called "super bulky."  

I didn't know what to do with it, so I put it up on a shelf and forgot about it.  

I went on to join a Facebook spinning group and committed to spinning 20-30 minutes each day.  It got easier if not better. :) Last summer I did the same and since my spinning attempts were pretty terrible I bought some "practice roving." AKA cheap, mostly synthetic "wool."  My Facebook group was not happy about my choice- something about microplastics- blah-blah-blah.  

I spun and spun that cheap-o fiber- I think I made some good improvement to be honest.  Then I started teaching at high school and I haven't touched my wheel since. 

Boo- but this summer I'm back to it- starting maybe this weekend.  I'm going to do a little practice spin to get myself started, and then I'm going to spin some of my collected wool- my pretty, and expensive wool.  

Darling- do you need to hear this as much as I do?  Don't bother saving your nice things for a special day.  You woke up . . . so today is special!

I kitted a swatch of my first spin.  


No comments: